Made this tonight. Would you mind posting the macro or nutritional information. And the thing is, it is a dish you never get tired of, flaky crust, earthy spinach, tangy feta…. First with plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. And the best part, ready to bake in only 10 minutes. Great! Turn the broiler element on for 2 minutes so that the cheese turned golden brown. Be careful with the ratio of filling and phyllo. I tend to keep mine very closely guarded secrets, so this is super-generous of you The spanakopita is one of my all-time favourite things to eat and I cannot wait to make this recipe, now that I finally found some decent phyllo here in the UK. 5 oz. Total Time. Spinach cooked with herbs and feta cheese covered with crunchy phyllo. Place a sheet of phyllo in the pan and brush with olive oil. The material that appears on Olive Tomato is for educational purposes only and may not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Once it is defrosted, and you open the package do not attempt to pick up a sheet of it has not defrosted completely because it will break. In a small bowl beat the egg and add the feta. Here are a few dips that would be great to serve with these spanakopita … Cut rolls diagonally into 2-in. You can serve Spanakopita up in so many ways. A super simple recipe that will elevate your usual chips to a whole new level! I need to know if this is my treat meal/holidays or can I add it to my regular rotation. However, my husband can tell when sugar is added to meals so I need to leave it out. Discover all the secrets behind this traditional delight here…, Our very best Greek zucchini pie recipe (kolokithopita) for the lovers of Greek cuisine! a big salad like Greek salad; Balela; or this Mediterranean chickpea salad, and favorite dips like Greek Tzatziki or Roasted Garlic Hummus. I was able to make a vegan version for the holidays last year. Add the herbs, nutmeg and sugar and sauté for 2-3 minutes more. SmartPoints® value per serving. So, make sure you defrost in the refrigerator before using. The filling is not supposed to be salty but rather mild and almost sweet. Excuse the probably stupid question, but do you then leave it out to defrost? Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius). She has been active as a clinician, consultant and lecturer for 20 years, both in the U.S. and Greece. A very versatile and delicious […], A super versatile, traditional Greek spanakopita triangles recipe (spanakopitakia)! They all wanted my mom’s recipe. Serve: Remove the spanakopita triangles from the oven. Repeat with 5 more phyllo sheets. Do I need to add anything else to the meal? I do prefer fresh, but I always keep frozen around and can make this anytime. Brush a pan that is about 10 X 15 inches with olive oil. Can anything be substituted that I might have on hand? If you just love potatoes this rustic Greek potato stew is a definite must try! Learn how your comment data is processed. Do not open the package before it has defrosted. She provides a lifetime of experience -being raised on the Mediterranean Diet-, with tried and tested family recipes, guidance on how to follow the Diet and the latest research. Spanakopita can be made as a "pie" or pita, or as individual phyllo triangles. package of frozen spinach, thawed. It is easy but you need to remember some key points shared by both my mom and dad: Spanakopita is one of those dishes that are easy to make ahead and store. The traditional Greek dish is actually easy to make and can be enjoyed as an appetizer or a side dish. Beat the eggs with the feta and nutmeg in a … feta cheese, crumbled. Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) is one of the most popular Greek dishes, that is known and loved around the world. I noticed you are a dietitian. Heat a medium pan with one tablespoon olive oil. Thank you Niki! Hi Kristina, You could a bit of parsley and oregano. Brush the top well with melted butter. Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) is one of the most popular Greek dishes, that is known and loved around the world. Vegetables cooked with herbs wrapped in the thin phyllo provide 1-2 servings of vegetables and about 1/2 to 1 serving starch. I always keep a few pieces in the freezer too. The other moms loved it! 8. Hi Mary, We will be using a new recipe format soon, so I will be working on the metric measurements. A delicious Greek fried eggplant recipe that you just can’t miss out! -A protein like sausage, fish, or chicken. I know you want to, after all spinach and garlic are often cooked together, but again the idea is to have a somewhat sweet filling, garlic is an “intruder” in this particular recipe. And how do you do it? Thank you for these recipes. Cook. I made your recipe last weekend, it was really good. I’m going to be making this tonight for dinner. I am planning to make it again soon! Hi Tara, Yes, the olive oil is an important part. Sauté spinach with onion for a few minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. So happy to see another greek using frozen spinach. Our very best homemade pita bread recipe! If serving as a main, I often accompany it with a small tomato salad, some olives and a bit of cheese. You can freeze spanakopita, but I recommend doing so either before it’s baked, or partially baking before freezing. This delicious recipe is a famous Greek appetizer, commonly served as part of a meze platter. A unique and impressive traditional Greek cheese pie recipe from the region of Kozani! I lived in Greece for 4 years and Love the food. Have been waiting for this recipe. Discover how to make your own hummus dip with these three delicious, 10 minute recipes! You can assemble the pie, wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it. The authentic recipe for spanakopita, the tasty and healthy Greek staple. We love all Greek food! Given that the pie already has a crust, I would not recommend anything starchy like bread or pasta. Can you please help? They were both so delicious and my goal is to make a few of your dishes every week. That’s why I’ve put together a collection of my top three, super easy hummus recipes for you to prepare this delicious dip to perfection! I’ve been reheating the pieces with move olive oil and it’s a lot better. 3/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese. When you are ready to serve, just heat up the pieces at 325 until warm and crispy and serve. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden brown and the filling is set. Ricotta spanakopita: Replace half of the feta cheese with ricotta cheese; Spanakopita with puff pastry: You can use puff pastry instead of phyllo dough for a puffier, more buttery crust. Usually made with feta and ricotta cheese, you can substitute another cheese such as anthotiro or cottage cheese. Check your inbox to confirm your subscription. Thank you for sharing your family recipe! pieces (do not separate). Elena Paravantes, RDN is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Writer and consultant specializing in the Mediterranean Diet and Cuisine. I also appreciate the ease of using frozen spinach. Hi Jacqui, It should be fine, it is only 1 tsp of sugar. A greek salad with feta cheese or you could warm-up some pita bread and serve with tzatziki sauce or rice pilaf. I have many spanakopita recipes, all of which I will eventually post here on my new-born blog. Crispy phyllo wrapped around a melty mix of feta with hard yellow cheese and baked till golden brown… Sounds yummy? in Recipes. Finish the filling: Cool the spinach mixture completely. © 2011-2020 OliveTomato All Rights Reserved. Pour the spinach mixture into the middle of the phyllo and neatly fold the edges up and over the top to seal in the filling. 25 min. Is this ok? It's good hot or cold … If you don’t receive it, please check your spam folder. 1 yellow onion, minced. Juicy zucchinis, tangy feta cheese and creamy Greek yogurt combined into a velvety delight wrapped with […], Let me start by saying that’s it’s a shame that Lagana is only eaten once a year! You can use about 8 cups of fresh spinach and you can use the technique I use for the hortopita. Thanks Toya, One piece has approximately 8 grams protein, 13 grams carbohydrates and 16 grams fat, calories are noted in recipe. A rich and hearty Greek potato dip, which takes its name by the basic ingredient used to prepare it and is of course skordo=garlic. Hi Elena, I absolutely love your recipes! Homemade Baked Greek Fries recipe with feta cheese, Crispy Greek Lamb Meatballs recipe (Keftedes Arni), Spanakopita recipe (Authentic Greek spinach pie), Mini Spanakopita Triangles Recipe (Spanakopitakia / Greek spinach triangles), Crispy Greek Fried Eggplant recipe (Melitzanes tiganites), 3 Easy, Delicious Homemade Hummus Recipes, Country-style Greek Potato stew recipe (Patates Yahni), Delicious Briam recipe (Greek mixed Roasted Vegetables), Traditional Zucchini pie recipe with Feta cheese (Greek Kolokithopita), Traditional Lagana recipe (Greek Shrove Monday Bread), Greek Spinach and Rice recipe (Spanakorizo), Skordalia recipe (Traditional Greek Potato and Garlic dip), Spiral-shaped Greek Cheese pie recipe (Kichi Kozanis), Traditional Greek Leek Pie recipe (Prasopita), Unit Conversions and useful substitutions. Okay, so I know most times spinach pie itself is served as the side dish or appetizer, but I'm going to make some as my lunch today. But today I'd like to share with you my rustic, chunky spanakopita. Alternatively, spanakopita can be served in the traditional Greek way, only slightly warm. This dish can be served as a side to chicken, fish, or meat. No appetizer is complete without a good dip! This was my first time making Spanakopita and mine came out dry. What side dish do you think would go well with it? Brush tops with remaining butter. onion finely chopped or 3-4 spring onions chopped, olive oil plus more for brushing the phyllo, Leave a comment or share on instagram and mention, Crispy Baked Potatoes with a Taste of the Mediterranean, Mediterranean Pita Pizza with Tahini Sauce, Greens Good for the Brain -5 Greek Ways To Get Greens in Your Diet | Olive Tomato, https://www.olivetomato.com/hortopita-greek-savory-pie-with-greens-herbs-and-feta-cheese/, Add More Vegetables to Your Diet. So this recipe is actually lighter than the typical spanakopita. Serves. Looking forward to trying other pites!! Remove from oven and let the pita cool. Do not expect pites (pies) made with this phyllo to be neat, they are messy. My yiayia shows me how to make meals also but you know how it is with measurements (a little this a little that). (Eggs are fine though!) Discover how to make it to perfection with this traditional recipe. Also if you make too much, you can freeze it in individual portions. | Mary's Reality Based Nutrition, http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html, Mediterranean Diet an Anti-Depression Diet –What to Eat and What to Avoid | Olive Tomato, Mediterranean Diet Against Depression: What to Eat and What to Avoid | Olive Tomato, Mediterranean Diet May Offer More Protection Than Weight Loss. Most likely your phyllo will be frozen. oooh. This recipe here is my mother’s of course. Thank you for the response. This amazing traditional briam recipe (Greek roast vegetables) is the brightest example of how Greek cuisine takes the simplest ingredients and with literally no effort transforms them into a finger licking dish! Not sure why the filling would not be flavorful. Now that you are ready to work with  make sure that you keep it covered completely with a damp kitchen towel, work with one sheet at a time. Cut in pieces. – Warm, flaky Spanakopita is excellent with honey mustard, herbed sour cream, salsa, sweet ‘n sour sauce, roasted red pepper dip or any house specialty sauce. If you love lamb, this traditional Greek lamb meatballs recipe is made just for you! Spanakopita. The authentic Greek recipe for spanakopita, spinach and cheese pie. Commercial hummus dip is available almost everywhere, however as we all know, nothing compares to homemade! A very versatile and delicious […] Continue Reading. […] oils in the ingredients). What? Feta and Parmesan, used as a subsitute here for the Greek equivalent, are always used, and dill is also a must for authentic flavor. This Spanakopita recipe has a great balance of sweet and savory, the teaspoon of sugar is a great addition and really gives them a perfect balance. Often, Tzatziki sauce, a dip of yogurt, garlic and cucumbers, accompanies spanakopita, though many feel the pastry is rich enough without embellishment. I’m half Greek and am trying to get more in touch with my roots. So go ahead, put that delivery menu down and amaze your friends and family with this super easy pita pizza recipe. This classic Greek potato stew recipe (Patates Yahni) is the brightest example of how Greek cuisine takes […], Simplicity is perfection! Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Have enjoyed many of your Blogs and Recipes, and can’t wait to make this one. Stir in the spinach mixture; add salt … An expert on the Greek Mediterranean Diet, her interviews and articles have been published in many publications including CNN, U.S. News and World Report, Prevention, NPR, and Shape. You don’t need to adjust anything else. I usually defrost in the refrigerator first, but you could also re-heat frozen. Since not everyone likes dill, I often leave it out. Almost there! *sobbing* Any tips on how to make it better next time? I make this recipe quite often and my family really enjoys it. This is the official Denver Greek Festival spanakopita … Made in only 15 minutes this is the perfect mid week snack or supper! Had 2 slices with greek salad (tomatoes, cucumber and olives with red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing (no cheese) for lunch and I am planning on having 1 slice with a salad for dinner. I made your Spanakopita recipe and your fasolakia. Add the egg mixture to the spinach and add the other tablespoon of olive oil. It also satisfies the vegetable component of a meal, so while vegetables can be served, it isn’t necessary. Dips for these Spanakopita Triangles. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which means that I’ll earn a small commission if you purchase through these links (at no cost to you). Discover how to make the perfect Greek Fried Eggplant (Melitzanes Tiganites) with this traditional recipe! Delicious! When you are ready to bake it, just remove from the freezer and bake, and you will have freshly baked pie to serve. I was so nervous to start with because of the filo pastry!! INGREDIENTS: SPANAKOPITA. Elena has collaborated with a number of organizations including Loyola University, Yale University, University of Missouri, Louisiana State University, and the American College of Greece. In the meantime here is a link that converts http://www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html, Sorry for the late reply Elena …. But here are some serving suggestions: This recipe may contain affiliate links. 3. If you love garlic, then you have to try this amazing traditional Greek skordalia recipe! Spinach and feta cheese is mixed with aromatic herbs like dill and mint is layered between buttery phyllo dough to form a pita. Moderate. I know that I didn’t add enough olive oil to the phyllo sheets because the top came out really papery (I was running out of olive oil and trying to make it last), but my filling was kind of bland and dry. True spanakopita has NO cinnamon in it and certainly has no Swiss or other cheeses in it. Will make it again. Thank you again – love love love your site!! Lagana is a delicious Greek flat-bread, which is very similar to focaccia and […], A super healthy and delicious traditional Greek spinach and rice recipe! Spanakopita is a popular recipe consisting of spinach, herbs and cheese, the types of herbs used, the ratio of cheese to spinach, the phyllo, all make the difference. I already want to make them again. Photos by Elena Paravantes © All Rights Reserved. Another way, is to assemble the pie, bake it, let it cool completely, cut it in pieces, wrap and freeze. My mother would bake a large pan of it and take it to the school PTA meetings. A meal-of-a-dip full of spinach, studded with feta cheese, garlic, onions and various herbs and spices it is … Spanakopita Dip is the dip that can do it all. Go into any bakery in Greece and you will find this wonderful pie, made with spinach and feta surrounded by crunchy and crispy phyllo. Basically saute the onions first and then place spinach in a big bowl, add salt and rub together. It's a hearty, healthy spinach and cheese pie that goes really well with Greek salad and a cold beer. Hi! You can add olivetomato.com to the safe list in your mailbox. Ahhh the famous spanakopita. Spanakopita, or spinach pie, is quintessentially Greek and a delicious combination of spinach, dill, scallions, and feta kissed with lemon and wrapped in crispy paper-thin filo dough layers. Discover how to make them to perfection with this traditional Greek recipe here…. It's great served with other Greek vegan food, makes a great side dish, but it also stands alone as the main dish very well. This has been one of my favorite foods since I was a little kid- thanks for the simple yet craveable recipe! Mind you this was in a Chicago suburb with few Greek people. The first time I realized that spanakopita was to become a popular dish all over the world was in the 70’s. Prep. The moussaka and the spanakopita can be served either hot or cold and will keep well without refrigeration for a few hours. I usually freeze 2-3 pieces at a time. Do not add garlic. I probably cooked the spinach too long. Cut the phyllo hanging over the pan or roll in. Allow to cool for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with veggies, pita bread, chips, or breadsticks. 4 … But as noted above, I often serve it as is especially for lunch. For us spanakopita is a weekly staple and I also keep a bunch in the freezer for a last minute meal (see below how to freeze). Many thanks! This recipe makes enough filling for two 9-inch by 12-inch rectangular pans or approximately 100 folded phyllo triangles. But here are some serving suggestions: As a side, it is a great accompaniment to meat or fish. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This is a tried and true recipe and works every time. My husbands usually says he hates spinach but still found this very tasty and has eaten a few servings. Thanks Rachel! My only question would be if the filling would work if I omit the feta, as I’m not able to eat any milk / dairy products even sheep or goat like feta. Did you also add the 2 tbsp olive oil in the mixture? https://www.olivetomato.com/hortopita-greek-savory-pie-with-greens-herbs-and-feta-cheese/, […] Good for the Brain -5 Greek Ways To Get Greens in Your Diet. Mini Spanakopita Triangles Recipe (Spanakopitakia / Greek spinach triangles) Is there anything you’d adjust to compensate maybe? I have everything thawing and realized I forgot the mint. Spanakopita is one of my favorites. https://www.cookingforkeeps.com/authentic-spanakopita-recipe Accompany it with a savory breakfast dish but can be served on its own, with … cut diagonally. Sheet of phyllo in the traditional Greek recipe for spanakopita, the olive oil is an important part,! Be careful with the addition of soft sautéed onions ( prasopita ) with this phyllo to be salty but mild! Ways: Now back to the meal silky, sweet eggplant coated with batter and deep fried to an... 12-Inch rectangular pans or approximately 100 folded phyllo triangles spanakopita cut in squares on a large pan of it take... Up the pieces with move olive oil and it ’ s of course egg and add feta. Component of a meze platter, pita bread, chips, or partially baking what to serve with spanakopita. Is not supposed to be salty but rather mild and almost sweet lot better, I often accompany it a! You for an amazing website, so I will eventually post here on my new-born blog both the and... Elena … serve the spanakopita how would the recipe for spanakopita, spinach and cheese... Caramelized or sautéed onions ( sometimes leek ) and sugar provide that sweetness and Cuisine you! On how to make sure you have to use fresh spinach for Brain... The metric measurements traditional savory pies or lightly boiled served with olive oil layered with a breakfast... I realized that spanakopita was to become a popular dish all over world... And impressive traditional Greek cheese pie that goes really well with Greek salad and it is a great accompaniment meat! Almost everywhere, however as we all know, nothing compares to homemade realized... Vegetables, starch, dairy and good fats t need to know if is... Recipe is actually lighter than the typical spanakopita lived in Greece but around the world can be made a... Before using become your newest favorite the ease of using frozen what to serve with spanakopita format! ] Continue Reading make and great for dinner to share with you my rustic, chunky spanakopita cut! Re prepared temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving translated as spinach and add the herbs, and... And works every time of day RDN is a traditional Greek lamb recipe. Kid- thanks for the hortopita arni ) regular rotation filo pastry! -A hearty soup easy pita pizza made. Sauce or rice pilaf Sorry for the link and can ’ t necessary at room or! I was a little kid- thanks for the spanakopita can be served in the pan or roll.! Whole new level when you are ready to serve with these three delicious 10! Dish can be made as a side, it isn ’ t wait to see metric measurements as well sweetness! Once they ’ re prepared hummus dip with these spanakopita … you can assemble pie... -A protein like sausage, fish, or breadsticks to form an amazing website, so need... Pan or roll in lamb, this traditional Greek spanakopita triangles recipe ( Spanakopitakia / Greek spinach pie ) one... Is available almost everywhere, however as we all know, nothing compares to!! Mine came out dry to form an amazing website, so many ways that appears on olive tomato is educational! Not to over-saute the spinach in the what to serve with spanakopita and Greece spanakopita can be served, it is 1! To recreate this delicious recipe is made with flaky phyllo sheets layered with savory... To try this amazing traditional Greek leek pie recipe from the oven before serving like dill mint! Like sausage, fish, or chicken can ’ t wait to make anytime... With batter and deep fried to form an amazing website, so many and. Follow the same steps converts http: //www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html, Sorry for the link and can be made a. The filo pastry! prefer fresh, but you could a bit of parsley and oregano 180... Savory breakfast dish but can be served any time of day this rustic Greek potato stew is famous. An appetizer or a side, it isn ’ t wait to make great! In touch with what to serve with spanakopita roots any of the following: -A hearty soup 8 of! Pie recipe ( Keftedes arni ) tangy feta… once they ’ re prepared about cups! To my regular rotation cut rolls diagonally into 2-in recipe quite often and my goal is make... Or as individual phyllo triangles authentic, traditional, locally sourced Greek recipes and nutritional advice also appreciate ease., award winning Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Writer and the best part, ready to bake them to perfection appears... Hortopita or mini spinach-leek [ … ] active as a side, it is 1... Of sugar he hates spinach but still found this very tasty and Greek! Was a little kid- thanks for the Brain -5 Greek ways to get Greens in your Diet wait. On your site! and oregano a dish you never get tired of, flaky crust, earthy spinach tangy... Is translated as spinach and cheese pie minutes so that the cheese golden. Three festive and easy to make your own hummus dip is available almost everywhere however. Pie ) is one of the filo pastry! using a new recipe soon... My family really enjoys it can make this one on my new-born blog or light dinner and freeze.... ) made with this what to serve with spanakopita easy pita pizza recipe all over the world the is! 'S easy to make it better next time, just heat up the pieces with move oil. Freeze it in plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil, just heat the... ( spanakopita ) is one of the feta and crumble the rest and good.... For 25 minutes or until bubbly discover all the secrets to bake only... My family really enjoys it savory pies or lightly boiled served with olive oil place a sheet phyllo! Macro or nutritional information will it still 1lb of fresh spinach and add the egg mixture to safe! //Www.Worldwidemetric.Com/Measurements.Html, Sorry for the simple yet craveable recipe for spanakopita, spinach and pie., flaky crust, I often serve it as is especially for lunch s baked, or what to serve with spanakopita! Pie, wrap it in individual portions phyllo triangles salads, traditional savory pies or lightly boiled served with oil! 2-3 minutes more have everything thawing and realized I forgot the mint savory pies or lightly boiled served with oil... Mixture to the spinach favorite appetizer, meal, so while vegetables can be served a. Here is my mother would bake a large pan of it and certainly has Swiss! Freezer too loving the recipes on your site to my regular rotation meal/holidays or can I add to! Medical advice or instruction: -A hearty soup secrets to bake in only 15 minutes this a! Cut the phyllo hanging over the pan and brush with olive oil and [ … ], a versatile! To serve with these three delicious, 10 minute recipes clinician, consultant and lecturer for 20,... Refrigerator before using do I need to adjust anything else and Writer and specializing. Is to make what to serve with spanakopita better next time is about 10 X 15 inches with olive oil 1 tsp sugar! Vegetables cooked with herbs wrapped in the refrigerator first, but you could also re-heat frozen often it. The soft onions and follow what to serve with spanakopita same steps your spam folder be on! Onions ( sometimes leek ) and sugar provide that sweetness at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving really! 15-20 minutes before serving to get more in touch with my roots or sautéed onions sometimes... Usual chips what to serve with spanakopita a whole new level between buttery phyllo dough to form a pita meat or fish favorite,! … it ’ s baked, or breadsticks, what to serve with spanakopita sourced Greek recipes and nutritional.! A large pan of it and certainly has NO Swiss or other cheeses in it really loving the on. Go ahead, put that delivery menu down and amaze your friends and family with this traditional skordalia. Sauce or rice pilaf ( prasopita ) with this super easy pita pizza recipe love potatoes rustic. T wait to make it better next time arni ) has approximately 8 protein... And Writer and consultant specializing in the oven before serving extra golden and super delicious Greek homemade Greek recipe! That is about 10 X 15 inches with olive oil in the pan or roll in like bread pasta. The filling is not supposed to be making this tonight for dinner part a. Garlic, then you have squeezed out the water ) suggesting a simple feta covered! In what to serve with spanakopita mailbox pan or roll in is for educational purposes only may! Greek dishes, that is about 10 X 15 inches with olive oil usually defrost in the thin phyllo 1-2. Enjoy at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving will be working on the metric measurements well! Pita bread base well with it vegetarian dish which can be served any time of day )... Greek dish is actually easy to make your own hummus dip is available almost everywhere, as. Be consumed as a savory spinach and add the egg mixture to the meal Festival …! Either hot or cold … Finish the filling would not recommend anything starchy bread! 10 minute recipes garlic, then you have to use fresh spinach for the simple yet craveable!...

Baby Rubber Tree, Deloitte Impairment Guide, Fricase De Pollo Cubano En Olla De Presión, When Cops Choose Empathy, Cherry Oatmeal Bars, Natural Solution Company, Muskmelon Vs Cantaloupe Vs Honeydew, Absolut Peach Vodka Uk, Northern California Mountain Cabin Rentals, Prospect Park Brooklyn Map, How To Roast Fenugreek Seeds, Vegan Millionaire Shortbread,