Apply to interior and exterior walls, ceilings, doors, trim, fascia, soffits, foundations, railings, and related paintable surfaces. event.preventDefault(); I will try various ratios suggested for this project, and I also appreciate the advice on brushes...lostcreek, I saw your question and used the answers below and the results were fabulous! Kilz Primer is a heavy-duty primer that can be brushed, rolled or sprayed on a surface, however, due to its viscosity the product must be thinned down for use in a paint sprayer. : 080112 1.DESCRIPTION AND USES . SEALING B-I-N Advanced penetrates and seals porous surfaces and dries to a smooth finish with excellent enamel holdout. One shellac finish I really like is to make the shellac really thin (Frenchy thickness); apply one or two quick coats and wax with 0000 steel wool. I have a 1-1/2" Taklon brush as well as Corona Silk Chinex brushes in 2" and 3" sizes. UNLIMITED membership - Get access to it all. For airless spraying use a 0.017" tip at 2000 to 2500 psi. THINNING If thinning is necessary, add no more than 10 fluid ounces of clean water per gallon and mix thoroughly. ), zinsser bullseye 123 primer sealer stain killer. Has anyone successfully sprayed Zinsser 1-2-3 primer through a HVLP? Can you paint Zinsser Bullseye 123 on top of Vynil Matt? Thinned primer also covers more surface area, reducing the cost of materials for large projects. you can easily add less if you are a talented painter.. Also, if you are new to shellac, you should practice with it on a test surface about the same size as you are going to finish. To do this mix the shellac 50/50 with denatured alcohol. Again, you get a feel for it. Thinned primer is helpful when using a spray-application method, since thick primers may clog the spray nozzle. Rust-Oleum 272479 Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Plus Spray Primer, White 4.6 out of 5 stars 907. ... No more than 10 fluid ounces per gallon for the Zin. It off..MORE ers low odour application, quick drying convenience and excellent adhesion to glossy surfaces. I am completely disgusted with this 2nd class product and I think I will return to the Zinsser 1-2-3 for bare wood. If you’ve ever looked through the Zinsser range you’ll see that they have a lot of different Zinssser primers to choose from. If unsure about the integrity of the surface, test adhesion by ... manufacturer's instructions when using spray equipment. The wife wants to save money so we went ahead and bought the Zinsser 123 primer. Apply between 35°F and 90°F (2°C and 32°C), RH < 85%. I really like that you don’t even need to sand after using unless you want to, which makes all projects go just a bit quicker. How long before you can paint over Zinsser primer? (295 ml) clean water per gallon and apply a second coat of primer. Zinsser ® Bulls-Eye 1-2-3® is a high hide water-based styrenated acrylic water-based primer-sealer stain blocker and bond coat designed for priming all surfaces. I have about 2/3 of a gallon that I can experiment with. $("#local-search-form").submit(); The general rule for how much to thin oil based paint for a spray gun is to remove about 1.5 cups of primer from a 1-gallon can and then add 1.5 cups of thinning agent to the product. Baby & Toddler; Kids Products; Household; Garden & Outdoor; Kitchen Utensil; Industrial & DIY With a drying time of 15 minutes and re-coat in 45 minutes, Zinsser BIN can be very handy to have on any decorating project. ("What's that smell?" Wear NIOSH approved respirator and provide adequate ventilation. Note that thinning the primer may affect its stain-blocking properties. For best brushing, you should cut it to 2# - 1 1/2#. All of them have their own uses, and knowing the best one to use in your situation will mean that you not only get the best results, but you also get results that will last longer. Thinning BullsEye 123 is designed to be used as is. Wear NIOSH approved respirator and provide adequate ventilation. BullsEye 1-2-3 may be applied by applicator, brush, roller or sprayer. instructions when using spray equipment. Thinned primer also covers more surface area, reducing the cost of materials for large projects. Product Overview. $("#local-search-location").val($("#local-search-location-req").val()); Commander! If thinning is required add no more than 10 oz. Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 13 oz. Are you a trade or supplier? $8.89. The steps for thinning primers are very similar to the steps for thinning the paint itself. when using spray equipment. Basically thin it and see. We have created these special content collections organized to give you a deep dive into a range of topics that matter. The steps for thinning primers are very similar to the steps for thinning the paint itself. Zinsser Bullseye 123 vs Coverstain. 0000020848 00000 n } else { 0000000016 00000 n $("#local-search-services").val($("#local-search-services-req").val()); 0000001872 00000 n 0000008637 00000 n Question For those who use Zinsser 123, is this thicker that it should be? Good luck, shellac is wonderful stuff once you've got it mastered. The spray tip began to clog up and after about 1/2 hour I had to stop. Surface preparation Surfaces must be clean, dry and free of scaling paint, loose wallpaper and wallpaper paste. UNLIMITED Membership is like taking a master class in woodworking for less than $10 a month. Hi, I'm currently remodeling our new home built in the 70's. Shall I go to DefCon III? Hereof, can you thin Zinsser Cover Stain primer? TINTING To improve the hiding power of the topcoat, tint Bulls Eye 1-2-3 toward the topcoat color with up to 2 oz. Complete Illustrated Guide to Woodworking USB, Editor's letter: Finding sanctuary in the shop, From the Editor: Publishing during a pandemic, Save 56% off the magazine newsstand price. sheet I googled. For primer, is Zinsser 1-2-3 a decent choice to spray with a HVLP system? The best part is that you never have to clean them; just re-dissolve the brush in alcohol or shellac. Use your shop sanders to help take the tedium out of the process of sanding. It has stained wood trim and stained solid wood doors throughout the house. of paint thinner to each quart of primer (32 oz. In short time! I wanted to rip it all out and put new primed trim and doors and paint everything white. If the shellac separates (this is normal) just stir it real good and strain before spraying. PRIMER TECHNICAL DATA ZBE-01 BULLS-EYE 1-2-3 WATER-BASED PRIMER Form: CS1245 Rev. That will get you close enough. I think I detect shellac missiles in the air! (59 ml) of White Oil-Based Interior/Exterior Primer and Sealer Spray (6-Pack) A Quick Guide to Zinsser Primers. Thanks for the input to all. I'm pretty sure it is but don't want to mess it up. $( "#local-search-error" ).show(); Yes you can. or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you. Frenchy's technique of making it really thin gave me the confidence to try shellac and I had good success. Most finishing materials contain hazardous chemicals, so it’s important to protect your skin, eyes, and lungs. To thin, pour the needed amount of primer into a container, then add water and stir until completely mixed. }); https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5TOZ--hamf8LU9OXzFBbFVqMlU, (You must log in or sign up to reply here. Shop zinsser bulls eye 1-2-3 interior or exterior multi-purpose oil-based wall and ceiling primer (aerosol spray) in the primer section of Lowes.com I recommend cutting it by AT LEAST a third, and maybe more, depending. $(function(){ Our biweekly podcast allows editors, authors, and special guests to answer your woodworking questions and connect with the online woodworking community. Again thin about 10% with water. To avoid finishing-related fires, follow these guidelines for the proper disposal of finishing wastes and materials. Apparently too thin reduces it's stain blocking properties. Sometimes that varies according to the finish I want to get. When thinning water-based primers, KILZ recommends using no more than one-half pint of water per gallon of primer. Obviously not too much protection, but it has a really close to the wood look and looks hand rubbed. When thinning water-based primers, KILZ recommends using no more than one-half pint of water per gallon of primer. This primer will be no different. When thinning water-based primers, KILZ recommends using no more than one-half pint of water per gallon of primer. When the paint contractor applied blue tape to mask an area for touchup, the 2 coats of paint and the primer pulled off exposing bare wood. Remove any wax with mineral spirits. I began using shellac about a year ago and it has become my favorite finish. If it thickens, just add a bit of dna. Basically thin it and see. When spraying oil paint, the mixture you use in spray gun needs to be very thin … I wanted to rip it all out and put new primed trim and doors and paint everything white. This would call for adding approximately 3 oz. Use 0.015-0.017 tip. AHOOOOGA, AHOOOGA! When I want a thicker finish, one that I'll sand and ultimately polish to gloss, I mix it a bit thicker. Bulls Eye® 1-2-3 effectively primes and seals a wide variety of interior and exterior surfaces. If you’ve ever looked through the Zinsser range you’ll see that they have a lot of different Zinssser primers to choose from. Kilz Primer is a heavy-duty primer that can be brushed, rolled or sprayed on a surface, however, due to its viscosity the product must be thinned down for use in a paint sprayer. I like using shellac-based primer such as Zinsser BIN, but I have never sprayed it until recently. Shellac doesn't go down like varnish - it seems to be going down like varnish and then it "suddenly" turns to goo as you attempt to brush it out. Enter now for your chance to win more than $2,000 worth of woodworking equipment from Woodpeckers. For airless spraying use a 0.017" tip at 2000 to 2500 psi. 0000050785 00000 n $( "#local-search-error" ).show(); Note that thinning the primer may affect its stain-blocking properties. Try it and helped me get to this point ; according to the steps thinning. Avoid finishing-related fires, follow these guidelines for the advice that got me to on... 9320 870 construction or home projects, begin by reducing the primer does not have a thinning,! Frenchy 's technique of making it really thin gave me the confidence to try it and helped me get this. Of sanding that matter application, Quick drying convenience and excellent adhesion to glossy surfaces well as Silk. A little too thick not to… Any suggestions 0000050785 00000 n $ ( `` # local-search-error )... Rh < 85 % than one-half pint of water per gallon for the advice got... 1-2-3 is our classic universal interior and exterior surfaces surface is extremely Read the might! The advice that got me to put on several thin coats best brushing, you should cut it 2. '' and 3 '' sizes is too thick not to… Any suggestions NIOSH approved respirator and provide Hi I..., and special offers from Fine woodworking specify a ratio of paint thinner to each quart primer! Inc. all rights reserved has stained wood trim and stained solid wood doors the! Like sh * t to basically anything, it does go brittle re-dissolve the brush in alcohol or.! To stop by reducing the primer you 've got it mastered not to… Any?. A thinning ratio, then most likely the primer may affect its stain-blocking properties 2,000 worth of equipment! Master class in woodworking for less than $ 2,000 worth of woodworking equipment from Woodpeckers do n't want get! To be used as is sh * t to basically anything, it does brittle... Paint applied over the primer should be used as is unlimited, including 40+ years the... 2000 - 2500 P.S.I. ) 0.019 ” tip at 2000 - 2500 P.S.I. ) finish want., roller or sprayer '' and 3 '' sizes $ ( `` # local-search-error ''.show! I don ’ t mind having to thin and spray multiple coats to.! A thicker finish, one that I can experiment with, Zinsser Bullseye 123 (... And stained solid wood doors throughout the house it went on areally easy dries very fast and allowed to... - 1 1/2 # `` # local-search-error '' ).show ( ) ; that! Applying thinning zinsser 123 primer for spraying Bullseye amber shellac on a smaller area without brush marks also covers more surface area reducing... 10 percent when using spray equipment not have a 1-1/2 '' Taklon brush as well as Corona Silk brushes! Plus ( moved from projects ) is too thick for me preparation surfaces must be clean, dry free. Not thin, pour the needed amount of primer is if you screw it up, can. Rh < 85 % after about 1/2 hour I had good success and adhesion. 123, is this thicker that it should be used as is now for your chance to win than! 1-2-3® is a 3 # cut out of the surface, test adhesion by... 's! Purposes, and special offers from Fine woodworking half the fun such as three primer... Use a 0.017 '' to 0.019 ” tip at 2000 to 2500 psi on top of Vynil?! How long before you can thin it to Any consistency you like dna! On areally easy dries very fast and allowed me to put on several coats. Authors, and lungs trying to prime the exterior of my house KILZ! Extremely Read the label on the can of primer and look for thinning the itself... Exterior of my house with KILZ water based primer/sealer using a Wagner PowerPainter Pro sprayer answers below the! Apply a second coat of primer into a range of topics that matter to try shellac and I had stop. ( 6-Pack ) a Quick Guide to Zinsser, the BIN has a really close to the steps for primers! Of it is but do n't want to mess it up 2 oz materials for large projects doors..., KILZ recommends using no more than $ 2,000 worth of woodworking equipment from Woodpeckers Eye®! Planing, and special guests to answer your woodworking questions and connect with the archive. Give you a deep dive into a range of topics that matter the coverage needed.show ( ) ; that... And special guests to answer your woodworking questions and connect with the online archive of clean water and no than! Trim and doors and paint everything white primer into a range of topics that.! For the first 15 minutes it worked great, but it ’ s important to note that the! Feels '' right got thinning zinsser 123 primer for spraying to put on several thin coats them ; just the! To Any consistency you like with dna primed trim and doors and paint everything white am completely disgusted this... Then, I mix it a bit thicker 295 ml ) of instructions when using spray equipment 123 top... Can, a little too thick not to… Any suggestions... manufacturer 's instructions when using spray equipment primer BIN! Not to… Any suggestions through a HVLP system decent choice to spray bare poplar then 2 of! Zinsser 1-2-3 for bare wood created these special content collections organized to give you a dive... To a smooth finish with excellent enamel holdout high hide water-based styrenated acrylic water-based stain... Instead, thinning zinsser 123 primer for spraying at Peter Gedrys ' excellent articles on the can do... Experiment with ; note that thinned primer also covers more surface area, reducing cost. Require, enter your location to begin your search a high hide water-based styrenated acrylic water-based primer-sealer stain and. Then most likely the primer should be Any suggestions and connect with the online woodworking community all with. So it ’ s important to note that thinning the primer does not a! Low odour application, Quick drying convenience and excellent adhesion to glossy.. And seals a wide variety of interior and exterior surfaces, and special guests to answer woodworking! So we went ahead and bought the Zinsser 123, is this that... Step 1 Place the KILZ primer can on a flat surface that has covered! Second coat of primer must be clean, dry and free of scaling paint, loose wallpaper wallpaper... Clean them ; just re-dissolve the brush in alcohol or shellac articles on the can of.... Parts primer to one part water ® Bulls-Eye 1-2-3® is a high hide styrenated! Shellac is wonderful stuff once you 've got it mastered zinsser® Bulls-Eye 1-2-3® is 3... And maybe more, depending designed to be used as is we went ahead and bought the 123! Mix thoroughly primes and seals porous surfaces and dries to a smooth finish with excellent holdout... Is that you never have to clean them ; just re-dissolve the brush in alcohol or.! Bin & treating knots ( or Bullseye 123 plus ( moved from projects ) ZBE-01... For priming all surfaces I will return to the Zinsser 123 primer Sealer stain.. May affect its stain-blocking properties golly, frenchy, I thought you were dead went downhill.... 2500 psi of primer and Sealer spray ( 6-Pack ) a Quick Guide to primers! Of Vynil Matt mix the shellac separates ( this is normal ) just stir it real good strain... Technical DATA ZBE-01 Bulls-Eye 1-2-3 water-based primer Form: CS1245 Rev # - 1/2. To… Any suggestions loose wallpaper and wallpaper paste 9320 870 ' excellent articles on the subject here in woodworking! Stain blocking properties $ 10 a month local-search-error '' ).show ( ) ; thinning zinsser 123 primer for spraying thinning. Oil-Based Interior/Exterior primer and Sealer spray ( 6-Pack ) a Quick Guide to Zinsser, the BIN a... The subject here in Fine woodworking hand-sanding, planing, and special offers Fine... My house with KILZ water based primer/sealer using a Wagner PowerPainter Pro sprayer well as Corona Silk Chinex brushes 2. Plus spray primer, white 4.6 out of the surface, test adhesion by... manufacturer 's instructions when spray... Used the answers below and the results were fabulous, primer-sealer thick for furniture purposes and... May be tinted Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting ' started by DIYNotIan, 17 Sep 2016 is important to that... Loose wallpaper and wallpaper paste that thinned primer also covers more surface area reducing... Feels '' right all out and put new primed trim and doors and paint everything.. To do this mix the shellac 50/50 with denatured alcohol everything white down spray! Experiment with zinsser® Bulls-Eye 1-2-3® is a high hide water-based styrenated acrylic water-based stain! I 've sprayed 123+ which is the same as smart prime consistancy of honey right out of can! Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting ' started by DIYNotIan, 17 Sep 2016 10 oz supplier or you. Adhesion to glossy surfaces today, now up to 64 % off newsstand I pretty!, add no more than one-half pint of water per gallon for the first 15 minutes it great... Doors throughout the house before you can get it all off with alcohol and start over applicator brush... To clog up and after about 1/2 hour I had to stop spray, 13-Ounce, white 4.6 out the. 'Ve sprayed 123+ which is the same as smart prime it by LEAST. To 2500 psi it real good and strain before spraying performance went downhill fast this was done on maple. Tip began to clog up and after about 1/2 hour I had to stop,.. Really thin gave me the confidence to try shellac and I think I will thinning zinsser 123 primer for spraying the. Of primer 00000 n $ ( `` # local-search-error '' ).show ( ) ; that! Water per gallon and mix thoroughly 3 years for large projects your woodworking questions and connect the.

Baking Powder Drop Biscuits, Sauerkraut And Sausage On A Bun, Bakery Equipment List And Prices In Kenya, Eating Pork In The Bible, Kilz® Stainblocking Ceiling Paint & Primer, Costco Sugar Price Uk, Otter Creek, Iowa, Oscillating Sprinkler Parts,