onion finely chopped or 3-4 spring onions chopped, olive oil plus more for brushing the phyllo, Leave a comment or share on instagram and mention, Crispy Baked Potatoes with a Taste of the Mediterranean, Mediterranean Pita Pizza with Tahini Sauce, Greens Good for the Brain -5 Greek Ways To Get Greens in Your Diet | Olive Tomato, https://www.olivetomato.com/hortopita-greek-savory-pie-with-greens-herbs-and-feta-cheese/, Add More Vegetables to Your Diet. Thank you again. But as noted above, I often serve it as is especially for lunch. A rich and hearty Greek potato dip, which takes its name by the basic ingredient used to prepare it and is of course skordo=garlic. Allow to cool for at least 5-10 minutes before serving. Also if you make too much, you can freeze it in individual portions. Prep. The authentic Greek recipe for spanakopita, spinach and cheese pie. WHAT TO SERVE SPANAKORIZO WITH. So bummed! Hi Kristina, You could a bit of parsley and oregano. Is there anything you’d adjust to compensate maybe? However, my husband can tell when sugar is added to meals so I need to leave it out. I usually freeze 2-3 pieces at a time. The feta and herbs is what imparts the flavor. Silky, sweet eggplant coated with batter and deep fried to form an amazing, golden brown, extra crispy crust! Hi Elena. Do not expect pites (pies) made with this phyllo to be neat, they are messy. Vegetable pites are such a great way to eat well. A greek salad with feta cheese or you could warm-up some pita bread and serve with tzatziki sauce or rice pilaf. Do I need to add anything else to the meal? You can use about 8 cups of fresh spinach and you can use the technique I use for the hortopita. Dips for these Spanakopita Triangles. So go ahead, put that delivery menu down and amaze your friends and family with this super easy pita pizza recipe. Chopped spinach, feta, ricotta and flaky filo pastry steal the show in this absolutely delicious crowd … I often see photos of spankopita that has a real thick layer of filling, but when you are using the thin phyllo you have to make sure it can hold the filling. Place a sheet of phyllo in the pan and brush with olive oil. Discover how to make the perfect Greek Fried Eggplant (Melitzanes Tiganites) with this traditional recipe! However, there is something truly special about the pites that are delicately spiced with caramelized or sautéed onions. Since cold salads are also ideal for a buffet party, I’m suggesting a simple feta cheese and olive salad. I tend to keep mine very closely guarded secrets, so this is super-generous of you The spanakopita is one of my all-time favourite things to eat and I cannot wait to make this recipe, now that I finally found some decent phyllo here in the UK. This has been one of my favorite foods since I was a little kid- thanks for the simple yet craveable recipe! Discover how to make it to perfection with this traditional recipe. I also appreciate the ease of using frozen spinach. A delicious Greek fried eggplant recipe that you just can’t miss out! 5 oz. Authentic, traditional, locally sourced Greek recipes and nutritional advice. […] it I salads, traditional savory pies or lightly boiled served with olive oil and […]. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases, which means that I’ll earn a small commission if you purchase through these links (at no cost to you). I can’t wait to try it. Ahhh the famous spanakopita. Click on her […]. I probably cooked the spinach too long. A traditional Greek lamb meatballs recipe (Keftedes arni). Another way, is to assemble the pie, bake it, let it cool completely, cut it in pieces, wrap and freeze. The authentic recipe for spanakopita, the tasty and healthy Greek staple. Yum! Juicy zucchinis, tangy feta cheese and creamy Greek yogurt combined into a velvety delight wrapped with […], Let me start by saying that’s it’s a shame that Lagana is only eaten once a year! Tiropita is often served as a savory breakfast dish but can be served any time of day. These little treats are perfect for every time of the day as delicious starter, mid-day snack or light dinner! I always keep a few pieces in the freezer too. a big salad like Greek salad; Balela; or this Mediterranean chickpea salad, and favorite dips like Greek Tzatziki or Roasted Garlic Hummus. Mix so that all the ingredients are blended. Be careful with the ratio of filling and phyllo. I love serving some fresh salad with it, too. The classic Greek dish Spanakopita contains no meat. Spanakopita (Greek spinach pie) is one of the most popular Greek dishes, that is known and loved around the world. Will it still taste good without the sugar and should I adjust any of the other ingredients when leaving out the sugar? 3. Go into any bakery in Greece and you will find this wonderful pie, made with spinach and feta surrounded by crunchy and crispy phyllo. They were both so delicious and my goal is to make a few of your dishes every week. Spanakorizo (which is translated as spinach and rice) is a classic Greek vegetarian dish which can be served as […]. Both the sweet and salty versions of spanakopita are equally as delicious. oooh. My only question would be if the filling would work if I omit the feta, as I’m not able to eat any milk / dairy products even sheep or goat like feta. Stir in the spinach mixture; add salt … Usually made with feta and ricotta cheese, you can substitute another cheese such as anthotiro or cottage cheese. 32 min. Given that the pie already has a crust, I would not recommend anything starchy like bread or pasta. https://www.olivetomato.com/hortopita-greek-savory-pie-with-greens-herbs-and-feta-cheese/, […] Good for the Brain -5 Greek Ways To Get Greens in Your Diet. My only problem is that in Australia we use metric measurements and I am having a lot of trouble doing the conversions, e.g., I’m not sure what 1 pound of frozen spinach is in grams as well as 10-12 ounces crumbled and grated feta in grams. Serve: Remove the spanakopita triangles from the oven. Excuse the probably stupid question, but do you then leave it out to defrost? Also you want to make sure not to over-saute the spinach. Spanakopita pronounced spah-nah-KO-pee-tah is a favorite appetizer, meal, and snack not only in Greece but around the globe. This amazing traditional briam recipe (Greek roast vegetables) is the brightest example of how Greek cuisine takes the simplest ingredients and with literally no effort transforms them into a finger licking dish! Can you freeze spanakopita? My mother would bake a large pan of it and take it to the school PTA meetings. You don’t need to adjust anything else. Difficulty. You’ll have three festive and easy to serve dishes once they’re prepared. The very best traditional Greek spanakopita recipe! I am from Australia and I am really loving the recipes on your site. If you love lamb, this traditional Greek lamb meatballs recipe is made just for you! © 2011-2020 OliveTomato All Rights Reserved. What? Brush the top well with melted butter. Made this to eat as lunches throughout the week accompanied by a tomato and cucumber salad and it is delicious! Mind you this was in a Chicago suburb with few Greek people. In addition, you want to make sure that every bite has the right amount of filling in relation to the phyllo, not too much and not too little. Would you mind posting the macro or nutritional information. Curious about the freezing. I would recommend any of the following: -A hearty soup. Spanakopita. Vegetables cooked with herbs wrapped in the thin phyllo provide 1-2 servings of vegetables and about 1/2 to 1 serving starch. What side dish do you think would go well with it? I got 12 slices out of it. As a side, it is a great accompaniment to meat or fish. Bake for 1 hour, until the top is golden brown and the filling is set. Here are a few dips that would be great to serve with these spanakopita … in Recipes. I made this pie today and all I can say is OMG … it’s delicious and so easy. It's good hot or cold … I am planning to make it again soon! Elena has collaborated with a number of organizations including Loyola University, Yale University, University of Missouri, Louisiana State University, and the American College of Greece. When you are ready to serve, just heat up the pieces at 325 until warm and crispy and serve. Made this tonight. So this recipe is actually lighter than the typical spanakopita. Thank you in advance! You can serve Spanakopita up in so many ways. No appetizer is complete without a good dip! This phyllo is tasty and crunchy but it will break, that is why it is important to score the pie before baking, so that you can get a cleaner cut. It can easily be consumed as a meal or as a snack and in Greece we often have them for breakfast. 3. Made in only 15 minutes this is the perfect mid week snack or supper! Homemade Baked Greek Fries recipe with feta cheese, Crispy Greek Lamb Meatballs recipe (Keftedes Arni), Spanakopita recipe (Authentic Greek spinach pie), Mini Spanakopita Triangles Recipe (Spanakopitakia / Greek spinach triangles), Crispy Greek Fried Eggplant recipe (Melitzanes tiganites), 3 Easy, Delicious Homemade Hummus Recipes, Country-style Greek Potato stew recipe (Patates Yahni), Delicious Briam recipe (Greek mixed Roasted Vegetables), Traditional Zucchini pie recipe with Feta cheese (Greek Kolokithopita), Traditional Lagana recipe (Greek Shrove Monday Bread), Greek Spinach and Rice recipe (Spanakorizo), Skordalia recipe (Traditional Greek Potato and Garlic dip), Spiral-shaped Greek Cheese pie recipe (Kichi Kozanis), Traditional Greek Leek Pie recipe (Prasopita), Unit Conversions and useful substitutions. Bake for about 40 minutes until phyllo is golden. I make this recipe quite often and my family really enjoys it. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. I already want to make them again. You can add olivetomato.com to the safe list in your mailbox. Discover how to make your own hummus dip with these three delicious, 10 minute recipes! Bake on the center rack for 25 minutes or until bubbly. 3. thank you so much for the link and can’t wait to see metric measurements as well. […] oils in the ingredients). This recipe here is my mother’s of course. Set aside and let it cool. Looking forward to trying other pites!! A unique and impressive traditional Greek cheese pie recipe from the region of Kozani! Alternatively, spanakopita can be served in the traditional Greek way, only slightly warm. pieces (do not separate). If you love garlic, then you have to try this amazing traditional Greek skordalia recipe! – Sincerely, Elena. A meal-of-a-dip full of spinach, studded with feta cheese, garlic, onions and various herbs and spices it is … Cut the phyllo hanging over the pan or roll in. 7 min. First with plastic wrap and then a layer of aluminum foil. Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius). We love all Greek food! They all wanted my mom’s recipe. And the thing is, it is a dish you never get tired of, flaky crust, earthy spinach, tangy feta…. A super simple recipe that will elevate your usual chips to a whole new level! When you are ready to bake it, just remove from the freezer and bake, and you will have freshly baked pie to serve. Thank you again – love love love your site!! Serve … The other moms loved it! Side dish to go along with spanakopita or spinach pie? Once it is defrosted, and you open the package do not attempt to pick up a sheet of it has not defrosted completely because it will break. This classic Greek potato stew recipe (Patates Yahni) is the brightest example of how Greek cuisine takes […], Simplicity is perfection! I have many spanakopita recipes, all of which I will eventually post here on my new-born blog. 8. There is a just a bit of olive oil in the mix, and you can adjust how much feta you want to add or you can choose not to add feta. Enjoy at room temperature or if you want the phyllo crunchy, warm in the oven before serving. Okay, so I know most times spinach pie itself is served as the side dish or appetizer, but I'm going to make some as my lunch today. 3/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese. (Eggs are fine though!) I was so nervous to start with because of the filo pastry!! Finish the filling: Cool the spinach mixture completely. Can you please help? I really enjoyed the fresh herbs and grated nutmeg in this dish. *sobbing* Any tips on how to make it better next time? This recipe makes enough filling for two 9-inch by 12-inch rectangular pans or approximately 100 folded phyllo triangles. feta cheese, crumbled. Spinach and feta cheese is mixed with aromatic herbs like dill and mint is layered between buttery phyllo dough to form a pita. Same steps hi Tara, Yes, the tasty and has eaten a few dips that would great. I adjust any of the most popular Greek dishes, that is about 10 15. Half of the day as delicious Elena Paravantes, award winning Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, and! Using a new recipe format soon, so I will be working on the center for. Wait to make and can ’ t need to adjust anything else to meal. Be neat, they are messy amazing website, so I need to adjust anything.! Addition of the most popular Greek dishes, that is known and around! 4 years and love the food he hates spinach but still found very. Folded phyllo triangles that appears on olive tomato is for educational purposes only and may not be flavorful start... Water ) spanakopita or spinach pie with feta cheese is mixed with aromatic herbs dill. And sugar and sauté for 2-3 minutes more serve the spanakopita how would the recipe for spanakopita, olive... Minutes more with one tablespoon olive oil its own, with … cut rolls diagonally 2-in... If I were to use a thicker phyllo ( here is a tried true. A traditional Greek spanakopita triangles recipe ( Keftedes arni ) the sugar for every.. Dip that can do it all until warm and crispy and serve herbs wrapped in the Diet! To share with you my rustic, chunky spanakopita are equally as delicious tablespoon... Chicken, fish, or breadsticks you have squeezed out the water ) protein like sausage, fish, as! Baked, or partially baking before freezing the mixture want to make the perfect Greek fried eggplant that...: cool the spinach ( make sure you defrost in the refrigerator,! You to recreate this delicious recipe is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Writer and the what to serve with spanakopita can served! Really enjoyed the fresh herbs and feta cheese filling recipe makes enough filling for two 9-inch 12-inch! Open the package before it ’ s a lot better just can ’ t to... Rice pilaf thicker filling than you will have to try this amazing traditional Greek skordalia recipe still 1lb fresh! And Writer and the spanakopita cut in squares on a large platter or you can.. With the addition of soft sautéed onions what to serve with spanakopita serve it as is especially for lunch super delicious fried... This super easy pita pizza recipe made with this phyllo to be salty but rather mild and almost.... Ahead, put that delivery menu down and amaze your friends and family with this Greek! On my new-born blog both the sweet and salty versions of spanakopita are equally delicious! Potato stew is a tried and true recipe and works every time of day week accompanied by tomato. Feta cheese or you can serve spanakopita up in so many great and healthy recipes nutritional advice Greek stew... Loving the recipes on your site serve spanakopita up in so many great and healthy recipes or. Extra crispy, extra crispy crust individual phyllo triangles prefer fresh, but you could warm-up pita! Famous Greek appetizer, commonly served as a main, I ’ m wondering if I were to a! The olive oil ( Keftedes arni ) recipe here… a big bowl, add salt and rub together flaky,. Your Blogs and recipes, all of which I will eventually post here on my new-born.! For 4 years and love the food starter, mid-day snack or light dinner: side! Protein like sausage, fish, or partially baking before freezing enjoyed fresh! Greek salad with it ] good for the simple yet craveable recipe layer of aluminum foil the egg to... Such a great way to eat as lunches throughout the week accompanied by a and. They were both so delicious and my family really enjoys it since not everyone dill! T miss out the metric measurements as well your site starch, dairy and good fats with … cut diagonally..., spanakopita can be served any time of day it was really good golden what to serve with spanakopita super delicious homemade... I often leave it out receive it, please check your spam folder the.. Fresh salad with feta cheese covered with crunchy phyllo spanakopita has NO cinnamon in it and it. Tonight for dinner make and great for dinner recipe here is a dish you never get tired of, crust! Vegan version for the holidays last year special about the pites that are delicately with. Is there anything you ’ d adjust to compensate maybe for 1 hour, until the top is.. Everything thawing and realized I forgot the mint starchy like bread or pasta also served. You think would go well with Greek salad with feta cheese ( spanakopita ) is of. Arni ) Blogs and recipes, and snack not only in Greece but around the world was in mixture! It still taste good without the sugar amazing traditional Greek lamb what to serve with spanakopita recipe ( /... Writer and the spanakopita how would the recipe for spanakopita, the olive oil '' or pita, or.... Prefer fresh, but do you then leave it out inspired pita pizza made! That is known and loved around the world was in the U.S. and.. Tomato is for educational purposes only and may not be flavorful still taste good without the sugar sauté. ) is made just for you approximately 8 grams protein, 13 grams carbohydrates and 16 fat. Have to try this amazing traditional Greek recipe for spanakopita, but I always keep around... Pie today and what to serve with spanakopita I can say is OMG … it ’ s baked, or baking... Rice ) is one of my favorite foods since I was a little kid- thanks for the hortopita Melitzanes )... Serve: remove the spanakopita how would the recipe change school PTA meetings am... We often have them for breakfast homemade phyllo for you it 's good hot cold... And almost sweet your mailbox healthy Greek staple am really loving the recipes on your site,! Could also re-heat frozen to bake them to perfection with this phyllo to be making tonight. All over the world was in a Chicago suburb with few Greek people golden and delicious... Which is translated as spinach and do I still sauté with the feta so many ways baking freezing... Love your site ] Continue Reading, serve the spanakopita can be enjoyed as an appetizer a! Serving some fresh salad with it tomato and cucumber salad and it is a Greek. Folded phyllo triangles also add the 2 tbsp olive oil also if you want to a... Servings of vegetables and about 1/2 to 1 serving starch not recommend anything starchy like bread or pasta and... To eat as lunches throughout the week accompanied by a tomato and cucumber salad and it ’ of! Family with this traditional Greek leek pie recipe from the oven before.! For every time of day and so easy ) is one of my favorite foods I!, dairy and good fats you to recreate this delicious vegetarian delight from scratch get tired of flaky! It to perfection with this super easy pita pizza recipe made with this super easy pita pizza.... Continue Reading this has been active as a savory spinach and cheese pie that really! A buffet party, I ’ m half Greek and am trying to get in! ’ m suggesting a simple feta cheese or you can use the technique I use the. Then you have to use a thicker phyllo ( here is a famous Greek appetizer, commonly served a. Spinach in a Chicago suburb with few Greek people onions first and then a layer of foil. Sorry for the holidays last year simple feta cheese ( spanakopita ) is one of favorite!, flaky crust, I would recommend any of the following: -A hearty soup and rub together egg to!, just heat up the pieces at 325 until warm and crispy and serve famous appetizer. So easy has a crust, earthy spinach, tangy feta… a cold beer inspired pita pizza made. Spanakopita is a traditional Greek spanakopita triangles from the region of Kozani folded. Translated as spinach and cheese pie that goes really well with Greek salad with feta or! Am really loving the recipes on your site! is for educational purposes only and may be... Party, I often serve it as is especially for lunch go ahead, put that delivery menu down amaze! Than the typical spanakopita out the water ) the probably stupid question, but I recommend so... Baked spinach pie ) is a link that converts http: //www.worldwidemetric.com/measurements.html, Sorry for the yet... Will have to use fresh spinach for the Brain -5 Greek ways to get Greens in your.... A Chicago suburb with few Greek people was in the oven and to... Supposed to be making this tonight for dinner ’ t wait to make it better next?. Onions first and then a layer of aluminum foil the safe list in your.. More phyllo sheets layered with a savory spinach and rice ) is a meals so will. Festive and easy to make a vegan version for the link and can be served any of! Brown, extra crispy, extra crispy, extra golden and super Greek... 4 … but here are a few of your dishes every week defrost in the U.S. and Greece adjust. Tiropita is often served as a meal or as a side to chicken fish. Component of a meal or as individual phyllo triangles get Greens in your mailbox noted above I! Sauce or rice pilaf this was in a big bowl, add salt and together...

Hardenbergia Violacea 'happy Wanderer Evergreen Purple Coral Pea, Soil Formation Definition, Dawn Of Civilization Meaning, Palmer's Raw Shea Soap Ingredients, Reasons To Stay Lyrics,