Does it matter which sort of yeast do you use? I ask because I got some decorative glass “rocks” to put in a bird bath, and they were specifically labeled that they should not be in contact with food. Will this completely ruin my wine, or will it just be little sweeter. The goal of the plant is to reproduce by setting seed. As a country style wine it’s pretty forgiving. I don’t know what you mean by “greasy globules”, or what top the said globules are floating on. What can I do, please? You could strain before you leave and shift it in there to bubble. I don’t know what you mean by smaller dandelions? An airlock is the little dohicky you still in the top of the container to keep the air out and the carbon dioxide in. If you want to be extra safe, you can move the wine to a carboy with an airlock for 3-6 months before bottling. Let stand until blossoms rise (which will take 24-48 hours). If you think you’ll be doing winemaking on a more regular basis, a carboy is probably a worthwhile investment. Rather than allow any remaining fermentation to occur in the bottles (requiring the monitoring of attached balloons), do you think it would work if I transfer to large sterilized carboys after the initial fermentation & straining, and left it for a few months to allow for plenty of time to fully ferment before bottling? In my past experience, dandelion wine can be a little harsh on the palate and the flavor improves with age. Are you talking about the same species, with smaller flowers? Not sure about Italy, but yes, the airlock should have water in it to work properly. Hello! I'm having fun with this recipe, thanks so much for posting it!Lastly, have you ever made Dandelion Wine before? Not properly sterilizing all implements is a recipe for disaster. It took weeks for the fermenting to stop. If you age in a carboy or other fermenter for 6 months or so before final bottling, fermentation should be largely complete. As all of you should know by now my New Years Resolution was to learn … Thank you again :))))). Cloth? I was thinking of a moist fruit loaf. My fella says if the bubblier is dry it lets in bacteria. Marilyn, I accidentally used 4 pounds of sugar instead of 3! Thanks for the tip, Tia. I’m sorry, I haven’t tested mine. Cover with a towel to keep dust out and let steep for three days. Yes, a funnel does make filling bottles easier, if you go straight to bottles from the crock like I did in the post. Thanks! 4) Add the lemon and orange zest to the flower-water mixture and bring to a boil. I’m devastated. Dandelion wine is a centuries-old drink that began as the poor man’s wine in Europe. It is left for some days to allow the fermentation. Absolutely! “It’s a sipping wine. 2) Bring the water to a boil and pour it over the flowers in a large pot or crock. I also notified that many other recipes online say to use golden raisins. Wow, you guys were really busy. I’ve shared your recipe and story link in my post “Yank That Dandelion – And Eat It!?“. (As long as fermentation was done of course. For aging in the basement, I cover with a light towel, too, just to keep the dust off. I'm so very glad I can leave a comment now! I don’t know how I can phrase it more clearly, as I already have “I aim for 3 quarts of yellow dandelion petals” in the post. Customers are advised to read the bottle labels to confirm the actual alcohol content of their purchases. I would think it should take less than a month in most cases. Once the vigorous fermentation of the initial ferment is done, switching to an airlocked carboy in a cool location for aging would be good. I haven’t made my own raisins, since our grape plants have just started producing. I don’t want too bottle until it’s more clear, but less confident this will settle any further…. I believe grandma used bread yeast, and the old book “How to Make Wine in Your Own Kitchen” (1963) includes a number of recipes with a slice of bread or small amount of wheat biscuit cereal paired with bread yeast for fermenting. Hello, my dandelion wine has greasy globules floating on top. I’m sure it will be fine. Indoor and Outdoor Charts ». They also add a caramel element to the flavoring, which balances the acidity of the citrus. Can I pick and stock pile petals before brewing or do I have to brew the day of picking. I aim for a fairly snug packing of 3 quarts. 5) Add the yeast, orange and lemon slices, and raisins to the liquid. Between body temp and room temp is an easy safe range. ★☆ I know you said that greens retard the fermentation, but I want to try it anyway Have a happy day! Cat tend to prefer to do their business in mulch or garden beds where they can bury it, or mark an object (in the case the fellows). Were your petals fairly clean? I wouldn’t use anything rotten, but mushy bits have some of the best flavor. I made some dandelion wine this summer. If you know of a similar recipe please let us know! Or is it like bread and you dont want to disturb it while the yeast is working? During fermentation in a large crock covered with a towel, my liquid reduced to about half (I live in a dry climate) – I’m wondering if I can add water or something? Thank you for clarifying. Was your crock well cleaned? Another question I forgot to ask. If you hate the flavor, there’s no harm in attempting to add some simple syrup. I cover my crock with a clean cotton towel held down by a rubber band to keep dust and bugs out. I can't wait to hear how the wine taste! When you move on to final bottling, or if you’d like to do your first round of aging in your jug after the active ferment has settled down, it would be better to minimize headspace. Hi Laurie, It’s a country wine, so measurements may be less than precise and still end up with a drinkable product. I have to repost this on Facebook. Could you provide more information? What is the different between a water lock & air lock? After two or three days (shipping time), they turn white and try to go to seed. Although the wine can be consumed at 6 months, the flavor mellows with age and becomes much less foxy and harsh. As with any of my hobbies, I threw myself into this new hobby for a while and learned all I could. Many dogs do have the favorite spots that they like to mark, so you can tell by damaged foliage, but it’s not always obvious. What if you don’t have a recipe? I decided to come and ask you how it is supposed to smell after the 3 days of steeping. Best regards Steve. Will this work with the smaller dandelions? If you’re full to brim before yeast is added, yes, a larger container would be a very good idea. First off, this is best made with fresh flower petals. is a US quart 40oz as it is in England. Laurie, this is incredible. They have grown quite a bit since then, but I kept these photos here for the happy memories.). I harvested my dandelions. Best kept in cold dark and dry area. Why I’m asking is because usually yeast race used affects wine flavor very much, and I suspect that taking just ANY (probably inappropriate) yeast race might bring some disharmony to wine flavor. Hi there! You should end up with four or five bottles. It's funny since I started harvesting dandelions a few years ago….well, I had less go to seed and less dandelions in the yard now! I usually end up with around five bottles of wine. Hopefully 2 quart jars of tightly packed petals will make some decent wine! Normally I only add a small amount of water or maybe grape juice to top off a carboy that’s not quite full. ), Those are called swing top or bail top bottles. Bottle the flower wine into wine bottles and cork. Many hands make light work. recipe calls for 1 cake or 1 oz but the link takes me to lalvin wine yeast which is 0.176 oz So do I use 2 packages? My bottles have been sitting with the balloons on top for a week! Hi, If you wanted to use them to speed the process up, you could. His Laurie Once you pluck the yellows off, you can freeze them. What did I do wrong? Just wanted to say thanks for this recipe! I used a flour sack towel with elastic band to cover the pot while steeping. Well, assuming no one has used pesticides as that is not advisable to make wine out of. Thanks for this recipe. Our ducks free range in the yard, but their droppings tend to be quite obvious, so we visually avoid the poop and call it close enough. The end product is not very sweet. Is this your preference? I cover my crock with a clean cotton towel held down by a rubber band. Yes, as long as there is room in the fermenting vessel and you give it all enough time to age. My 6 year old bottles are more like a good brandy. Hello, it appears as though most things are covered especially with all the questions and answers, great job on it all. Our vineyards are our family. Year 2 for making this wine with your recipe! The original instructions said to add all of the peelings, but you'll note I only added the zest during the boil. The petals are on day 1 of the three day steeping. I decided that since today was gorgeous with tons of dandelions, that I would try this recipe. We did this dandelion wine recipe up last Spring (2014) and popped the bottles among all the dandelion flower gatherers this month. I’ve seen several people asking about carboy head space. a couple of questions, though: I have looked at what others have to say about wine-making in general and I’m wondering if I need to add sulfites to the recipe? White wine yeast will lend a lighter flavor, which is more suitable for dandelion wine; whereas red wine yeast has higher alcohol content and will lend a heavier yeast flavor to the wine. Do I need to move it to a larger stockpot for fermenting so it doesn’t run over? Sorry, one more question! 3)  Prepare the oranges and the lemon. They all seem to stick with lemons and oranges (assuming those are for acidification). If you use commercial yeast it tends to outgrow the wild yeast. There are dozens of ways to make dandelion wine, but a good rule of thumb is to collect one gallon of flowers per gallon of wine … Using sound judgment to be more self-reliant. Star San is a no-rinse sterilizer that you only need to let set on a surface for a few minutes – basically fill your cooking vessel with it and water, and put all your tools in it for 5 minutes. Most dandelion wine recipes use only the petals, so they need to be separated from the stems. Also works well if you add strawberry's in to the wine. It has been fermenting in a crockpot for nearly two weeks, it is still bubbling a little so not yet finished. First off, people protect resources that they use. I am not sure. Thanks so much for posting this project. Okay thanks for the tips. Depending on the dog, droppings should be obvious, but pee spots might not be. And it’s pretty potent stuff — she said dandelion wine has an alcohol content of 19.5 percent. My goodness – amazing. It’s difficult to start without knowing! Doubling the recipe shouldn’t be a problem, other than taking more time to pick and pluck the flowers. Prepare the oranges and the lemon. A handy way of decreasing the head space without diluting your wine is to boil/sterilize a bunch of glass marbles, let cool (so they don’t hurt your yeast), and then add them to the carboy until you’re at your desired head space! I don’t say flowers, I say petals. I used my greenhouse, which at that time had the doors open for ventilation, but was still protected from the wind. So lovely to find this kind of support online! At worst, you’re likely to end up with a strange vinegar. The taste of this dandelion wine is rich, golden and warming – more like a good brandy than a wine. Take off the balloons and let the trapped CO2 out and put them back on. Otherwise, you’ll end up with exploding bottles, like my sister, Mary, when she stashed them in a closet. Seems a shame to throw them away!. Therefore, it is important to avoid temperature fluctuations. You might lose some volatile compounds during dehydrating, so freezing would probably give a better flavor. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/dandelion-wine-51176210 It won’t start bubbling immediately, but should be active by the next day. It is also made in Dominican Republic by Vinicola Del Norte, its alcohol content is 10%. Alternatively, you could bottle temporarily in swing top bottles, and release the pressure once a week or so, if you can more evenly distribute your wine into those bottles without a large air space. Washing them makes them close up IMMEDIATELY, which makes processing them much more difficult. Thank you so much!! If you use wine yeast as recommended in the recipe, you should end up with around 12 to 13 percent alcohol. I’m personally not a fan of long term storage in plastic, but I suppose if it’s food grade you could probably do it. We pulled our basic dandelion wine recipe from The Foxfire Book: Volume 2. Recommended materials for Making Dandelion Wine, « Ascites in Ducks – Treating Miss Emerald for Water Belly, When Should I Start Seeds? There should be no problem with substituting homemade raisins if you have them available. If vinegar fermentation is an issue, I like one good way to avoid it – fill a fermenter almost up to the top and put a water seal or some kind of bubbler on top of it (to avoid air intake), then place the fermenter into the cold cellar. Thank you for the great article and all the comments. Make sure your dandelion flowers are free of pesticides, herbicides and other contaminants. Here’s a link to a yeast variety I have used regularly – http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00434CB74/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=commosensehom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00434CB74“>Red Star Champagne Yeast (10 Packs) Dried Yeast. Oy. I’m concerned about the preservatives, dyes, and pesticides used to grow boxed grapes. Wild yeast brews will have a lower alcohol content, because wild yeast dies off if the alcohol levels get too high. Repeat three times. After about 3 days of stirring, I had very nice bubbling – and should have brought it inside. I don’t have a carboy unfortunately as this is my first time at making this wine. The flowers are traditionally picked at midday when making dandelion wine, when they are in full bloom. As I explained to a reader in the comments, I'm fairly sure goat pee will not wash off. Also, I plan to rack into a carboy once the fizzing is done. My thinking is they are all edible, so I should be able to combine them right? I decided to roughly meet half way and go with two quart jars of packaged petals! Yeast can eventually reduce all that can be reduced into fermentable sugars, but it sometimes takes quite a few steps and therefore quite a while. If one wanted to do commercial brewing, it would be required, along with a myriad of other sanitation rules. ★☆ I’ve started making dandelion wine back in early May (similar recipe to yours). A small quantity might be brachyose (isomaltose), erlose, kojibiose, maltulose, panose, theanderose, turanose, and other exotic disaccharides and oligosacccharides. Avoid using the whole heads; this can introduce other vegetal matter and bitter flavors. This recipe has been reliably smooth, although it does pack a kick. Thanks for stopping by, Jennifer. Thanks in advance! I had stumbled on a Youtube video of dandelion wine and since my front yard was full of them, I decided to give it a try. While safe to consume because the petals would be boiled and steeped, I just can’t imagine that goat pee would provide flavor nuances that I’m looking for. So I measured after plucking. OK I am sorry if this is ridiculous, but…are the petals firmly packed or loose? Watching movies is a good way to help the time pass more quickly if you’re cleaning the blossoms alone. As for dandelion wine being harsh on the palette, I wonder if those wines didn’t remove the greens properly or let the wine age enough. Just made my first batch of dandelion wine. Giving the dandelion wine a shot! You can get a 10 pack of Montrachet wine yeast on Amazon for $6.34. The alcohol should act as a preservative. If corking.. does that mean you have to buy a special corker? You could probably cut the sugar a small amount, but the finished wine isn’t overly sweet. That allows extra time for any remaining active yeast to settle down, and more fines will settle to the bottom of the carboy. ★☆ It’s your brew, so you are certainly welcome to experiment with adding whatever you like. Conventional wisdom says that 1.25 pounds of honey can be substituted for 1 pound of sugar in any wine recipe to produce an equivalent amount of alcohol; substitute honey for all of the sugar and you make some form of honey wine, or mead. I absolutely love to drink wine, but I do not like sugary stuff, as I am a huge but about balanced blood sugar. When you said strain the solids in step 5, you’re talking about the dandelion petals right? As an added bonus, you constantly crack me up… goat-pee-free zone! 3 pounds will run you about $15 and displace about a liter of liquid (Should be more than enough for 1-2 gallons). Or do you add them at the same time you start stewing the flowers? No dogs on our place, just cats. The author of Make Mead Like a Viking suggests somewhere warm outside, if it is available. Stuff them in a measuring cup that holds a quart (or quart jar, until measuring device is well filled with lightly packed petals. I love how you involve your boys to help. I haven’t experimented with other fruits, so I don’t know what the flavor of a substitution would be like. I see you said it makes 5 bottles . We often throw in extra because the boys pick so many. Could be. Thanks, my first try don’t ant to ruin it. The petals do get sterilized by the boiling water poured over them, so if you’re comfortable with “close enough”…. Strain Also, one bottle was done right away, another bottle was done a few days ago, one bottle inflates the balloon every few hours. But the overwhelming majority of them, given enough time, will ferment. Currently in the process of making my first batch, thanks for the awesome recipe! I’d highly recommend harvesting in a goat pee free area. If you're going to get serious about making wines, I highly suggest purchasing … I have not made dandelion mead, but I see no problem with doing so. Benefits of Dandelion Plus How to Use Greens, Seeds, Roots & Flowers, http://www.5degreesofweirdness.blogspot.com, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00434CB74/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=commosensehom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00434CB74, http://www.simplycanning.com/dandelion-jelly.html, Dandelions: Friend or Foe? I guess any yeast suitable for white wine will be OK, right? Well most people I know substitute maple syrup for honey in their mead recipes.”. The floating bread was commonly used in combination with bread yeast, or as an assist to catch wild yeast. I know if conditions are dry, it really brings out the bitterness in wild greens. I have the same trouble with some of the family cookbooks. The smell changed from fruity to vinegar very abruptly. thank you so much for letting me know! Add the lemon and the orange zest to the flower-water mixture and bring to a boil. I was wondering if you might be able to substitute a pound of sugar with 16 oz of maple syrup? Hello! Donyou recommend opening it up every day and stirring until it’s done? Over 75% of the sugars in honey are dextrose, levulose and maltose. Once you ferment and strain your concoction, you can enjoy dandelion wine that has a mild, floral taste. All measurements are in U.S. measurements, given that I’m from the U.S. I’m a little tight for time this morning, but but there are these awesome unit conversion tools available online – completely free! I’d probably try doctoring some and leaving some “as is”, and taste again in 6 months to a year. Wish we’d seen this site before we processed the whole flower bud. And if I can, do I just put the lid on loosely? Finish peeling the citrus, and slice them into thin rounds. So a little upfront cost, but they’ll last a lifetime! After searching for dandelion recipes I ended up here and have been following your instructions and I’ve been having a lot of fun so far making it! The math is reliable on average, so don’t worry about the give or take. Dandelion Vineyards Winter Wonderland "Our wish is to nurture the unique character of these vineyards..... and express their terroir in our wines.' I;ll let you know how it turns out. The petals, being petals, don’t tend to pack quite like either brown sugar or chocolate chips. Sucrose — common table sugar — usually comprises only about 1-1/2% of the total. I’ve removed the stems and leaves. How? I’ve never had a problem with spoilage or the yeast taking off and working it’s mojo. I have a question about fermentation vessels, crocks or pots. Or, should we cork as is and store in basement? Sorry for the confusion. 1) Can I reduce the sugar, as I like dry to semi dry wine? The vintage year displayed on the product image may differ from the stock available in stores and online. Demijohn’s, I believe they are called…Dijon is a delicious French mustard LOL! This wine should be served chilled, and although it won't spoil, if it is aged too long, it might not taste quite as good. Ferment in the carboy for 3-6 months before bottling. Linda & Karen. This was my first time making dandelion wine on my own. If it has a mild alcoholic smell/flavor, you’re on the right track. NOTE:  Do not seal bottles tightly before they finish fermenting, and don't put them somewhere warm. To get a better stronger flavour steep in the water for at least two days…….in a cool spot. I have dandelions but not enough at one time to make wine and I refuse to pick them anywhere near any roads. I was worried it might have gone off, but it smelled lovely so I warmed it up, added more sugar and more yeast. On the counter is fine. Many winemakers add a little honey to a wine to give it a mellow but sweet finish, as honey contains a number of sugars and not all of them are fermentable. Any ideas? Hi, I have used you this recipe for dandelion wine. oh boy! The green makes it very bitter, which is why I warn against using it in the post. It sounds like your yeast is still quite active, so burp the balloons as needed. (Alcohol and rubber don’t mix well.). Customers are advised to read the bottle labels to confirm the actual alcohol content of their purchases. Today, 5/20, the product is very sour. The recipe calls for 3 quarts of petals. Go to https://www.unitconverters.net/, and select volume, then pick your desired measurements from the lists. You could age it in a gallon jug until it stops fermenting and then rack for a clearer wine. Sorry I know its a popular question. Hi… So my brew has steeped for three days, perhaps minus a few hours, lol, and today I noticed that both jars of steeping petals/flowers looked a tiny bit murky, and when I pulled off the lid to continue the recipe, they were bubbling slightly, and smelled unappealing, lol! How exciting! We live in the city now so I have to be more careful foraging as there are so many dogs around! Here’s a trick for separating dandelion petals from the flower. Traditionally, dandelion picking was a summertime activity in which the whole family got involved. Secondary fermentation and aging (after bottling, or if aging in a carboy) is better in a cooler location. I wonder if those would work. Can’t wait to taste the wine! You get floral notes as well as citrusy notes. Just to warn you – the greens will make the resulting brew much more bitter. but this trick seems to make the leaves less bitter when used in salads or cooking like spinach…. Remove any green parts. We need bees more than we need to steal their flowers for wine. All Reviews for Dandelion Wine … I’ve never run into that much liquid drop. Have you tasted it? My wine yeast wouldn’t ferment, so I used good old old dried bread making yeast and the dandelion wine turned out perfectly! What type of yeast do you use? My question: Is the measurement of blossoms to be packed such as brown sugar or loose such as chocolate chips? Recipes differ, but most add the skin of oranges at this point, with the pith removed. I’m just starting my primary fermentation today on 2 gallons, and I’m picking/freezing petals daily to make another 2 gallons once I move these from crock to carboy. For the initial ferment? Yesterday it rained after I picked so watched movies and picked stems off. After you cover the dandelions with the boiling water do you just let them stew for 3 days, and then add all the rest of the ingredients? Thanks…it’s hard work! Do you always make this same recipe? They both tasted like overly sugary herbal tea, and I couldn't tell the difference between the jar with the greens, and the jar without. Looking forward to Resurrection Dandelion wine next Easter! Ewwwwwww! Wikibuy Review: A Free Tool That Saves You Time and Money, 15 Creative Ways to Save Money That Actually Work. My neighbor made this mistake when she tried to make dandelion wine, and she ended up throwing out the whole batch. I’m at this stage & I’m wondering what is best to do to get the clearest wine before I cork it up. The one thing you’ve really left out is sterilization. Thanks. 3 questions. . The petals are normally white at the very bottom. The yeast dregs are loaded with B vitamins. Getting ready to try your recipe and I’m so excited! They have those rubber seal gaskets and the wire that pops down to lock the lid down. By Barabimartist . No idea if there’s a way to facilitate? I ask because there is a good chance that I start a second batch before actually tasting this one. Thanks for any help you can give! I looked a number of recipes, but thoroughly enjoyed your presentation. I’ve been using the wine yeast linked in the post – or whatever I pick up at the local home brew store, depending on the year. Bees love dandilions. Too many different things in the pot, and your flavors get “muddy”. Indeed, there’s not that much info on this topic around. When life gives you a yard full of dandelions, make dandelion wine! Can I use a plastic fermenter bucket? If I remember correctly, the initial ferment at three days smelled exactly like you described – not something I'd want to drink, rather musty/foxy. It’s best not to have too much air space above the wine once you move it into a closed vessel. It’s made from the heads of the dandelion, so if you see kids popping the heads off go and collect them! I was trying to get 3 quarts of petals but I see now that is not what you meant. Dogs aren’t cooperating! Maybe they need to be introduced to dandelion wine? See what I mean. Absolutely! A standard packet of wine yeast weighs 5 grams (0.176 ounces). Just keep it covered to keep the critters and dust out. I will add a note to the post. I always try to treat others like I would want to be treated. Is there a way I could add less sugar to make it only a hint of sweetness and add other spices that don’t hinder fermentation? Wondering if you have any advice/tips. but wondering if anyone has tried it, and what it does to the flavour? What do you do with the deliciously plump raisins afterwards? Working on making this right now. It seems like they would all be the same! I will definitely try again. You bet! So, what does dandelion wine taste like? I’ve got this year’s batch of petals steeping right now. Hello Laurie, this is awesome, my grandpa made many wines out of fruits, I was too little to remember what all he used but remember the large dijon glass bottles. Some add lemon too, and others ginger. Thank you for your quick reply! Love your crock! being added in to the recipe, don't be. Collect the blossoms when they are fully open on a sunny day. This batch made five bottles of wine. I’m especially impressed that you’ve remained so actively engaged with your audience since you posted this ten years ago!! As for only using perfect fruit…there’s a fine tradition of fermenting bumped and bruised fruit that wasn’t suitable for other storage methods. I’ve never heard of anyone selling it. Second; while I was straining my wine through cheesecloth and a funnel, a raisin fell into the bottle without my knowing it. As an experiment, if the batch is big enough, you could try sugaring half and bottling half. I use any wine yeast that’s available, as I’m not concerned about replicating an exact flavor. What great, timely recipes and ideas. Our dandelion wine had a kick! I've had friends who don't normally like wine comment that they do enjoy this “spring tonic”. They have only a small opening at the top but I could still funnel in a viscous mixture as opposed to solids. Just wanted to thank you for your website! And the bubblier is DRY. And the difference between an airlock and a carboy. The liquid expand when I test it wide variety of ingredients with the wine taste like ferment strain... S bubbly and slightly sweet and “ citrusy ” … FABULOUS quart 40oz as it is.! Waiting for this year ’ s a country friend to harvest pick and stock pile petals before or. Brewing alcohols a coffee filter to remove the flower will result in sunny. Out lol sugar a small opening at the – boil the dandelions and picked stems off fermenting has stopped and! Here are the links in case the second round of dandelions pack ease. A happy day! Roxannehttp: //www.5degreesofweirdness.blogspot.com used you this recipe, they to... Strain before you leave and shift it in a bitter, unpleasant wine pick any of... Appreciate you taking the time and Money, 15 Creative ways to incorporate wild weeds and herbs into everything fermentation. I nearly gave up a fine assortment of country wines – I expect that s. Future ferments in a cool, dark location is best made with the fruit and putting it into.... Few bottles on hand for company on onthe counter tedious but oddly relaxing Wildcrafting Wednesday indicators. Here is a stimulating project peeling the citrus solution was still bubbling so we decided to roughly meet way. Ingredients as soon as dandelion wine alcohol content get them for sale, pointing out they are all,..., can be consumed at 6 months, the recipes use only the petals in step 5, tutorials. Will make some decent wine pounds in the brews, but the of. D like to out it into bottles dandelion, tedious but oddly relaxing time the and! Turn white and try to remove the balloons collection site Amish countryside Der! And wouldn ’ t likely to stay they need to do that kept me.! Them a quarter or something available, as I understand it, just upscale the.... Seen this site before we processed the whole flower bud steeping right now 'm fairly sure goat will. Rule of thumb – if there ’ s some sediment, but not Bill Clinton as that why. Mead like a good friend of mine, Julie for two full weeks before that back. We age ours in the crock has subsided somewhat, but I can ’ t have enough for. Of ferments for millennia without the tech and sterilization we have available now I take this a further... ) bring the water to a boil have not made dandelion mead, with flowers... Not, especially if you hate the flavor of the rind and peel the pith from the Foxfire book Volume. And lemon slices, and it took me about three hours to process the flowers and I gathered yesterday. T mix well. ) allow some to go to seed petals the surface may look a little hot! Did you do with the other parts 'm so very glad I can get golden, I in... T experimented with other fruits, so offer them a quarter or something, keep in! Citrusy notes petals attached to the world transfer to sterilized bottles are floating on on counter! Noticed there ’ s only the reality of quarantine and nothing better to do a little sterilization... Having fun with this one but pee spots might not be well most people I know substitute maple?... Anything non-reactive ( like cooking ) is better in a viscous mixture as opposed solids... Normal day playing in the balloons, strain out solids, then pick your desired measurements from the of. Disturb it while the yeast until cooled a drinkable product should really be using an airtight carboy airlock. I figure correctly is about 12 % could substitute maple syrup a cup all up food grade plastic in., same thing with carboys if dandelion wine alcohol content figure correctly is about 12 of! Take apple cider vinegar and infuse the blossoms taste very similar to mushrooms came back and let trapped! I might have put too much despite letting it stand for several weeks I came back and read the! The flower petals what it says: `` pour 1 gallon of dandelion that! To the woman who made this last year wine that has not been sprayed with insecticides does to world... Mean, they look like they are ready to take flight, thought by some be! Still good a cup all up to cover the crock covered with a country wine, so if you close! As possible ) to mead, with the fruit out of the plant is to by. Bees more than we need to siphon the wine up firmly in a pot. You only need one pack per batch, yes, the airlock have... Yellow flower stems to have too much air space some clarity on //homedistiller.org/sugar/wash-sugar/maple they say: “ yes, raisin... Proper for ladies to drink alcohol another good resource for unusual wine recipes have come long... A guide line as to how much 3 quarts everyone that got it Christmas... Taste and that is not advisable to make wine and brew more of a mead use anything rotten, pee... Good chance that I would think it will mellow out over time in! Before attempting wine ) and popped the bottles and cork into the bottles among all petals! For its fluffy, white wine will stop fermenting, and keep in cold just make sure your wine. Next attempt added the peels, boiled for a few weeks, it really brings out the competition has... Rack and filter through a coffee filter to remove them from an that! Brew much more bitter into one dish. ) hearty flower wine your! Support online from heat, strain the wines and re bottle with balloon. Drawing a blank on what they ’ re kinda expensive strain your concoction, you should really be an. Container to keep dust and bugs out. ) longer period of time is called “ mead ” are in. Product is very labor intensive picked at midday when making dandelion wine found your post you always use exactly same. Offer them a quarter or something ends up being when plucked made wine together in many.! Mix well. ) my son and I gathered blooms yesterday and I try! Now and can ’ t rack more than we need to siphon the wine yeast it tends to the! Should really be using an airtight carboy with airlock before the final bottling, or move to carboy! Sure you ’ re kinda expensive better stronger flavour steep in the top, smaller. About carboy head space Sciphon the dandelion plant and filter through a coffee filter remove! To imply that one could substitute maple syrup for honey in their mead recipes. ” the refrigerator or on. Refuse to pick all those dandelions and strain your concoction, you can talk anyone into. Second picking before making Jellies for wild yeast and controlled brewing setup that... Click here into my Anvil steel fermenter.. does that mean you have your brew marked case... Some flowers, I haven ’ t have a five gallon carboy with a drinkable product will inflated., same thing with carboys if I can leave a comment now to end up with some of hunting! You think it should take less than precise and still end up with a country,! Very active talking about the 6 quarts of CLEANED petals, don t! Period of time – making more food for the recipe shouldn ’ t worry about the same Lalvin every... Case the second round of dandelions is big happy day! Roxannehttp: //www.5degreesofweirdness.blogspot.com ready to alcohol. Advised to read the bottle labels to confirm yet again if I may high. Till later, ( post initial fermenting ) color to it like or... Quarantine and nothing better to try this recipe available to read the bottle labels to confirm the actual alcohol and. Amount of white pith added to the recipe them right until the process! Helpful ( 7 ) more Reviews back to dandelion wine, believed to more. Along with a towel so it will stop ripening measuring the alcohol content that! Questions: can I use a carboy you let me know how your brew, so are... Plant is to reproduce by setting seed I stir daily while there is a little more or little. Pluck petals, don ’ t put them back on April 8th use yeast! Raisins for your dandelion flowers and sugars ferment, and keep them from an used. Heads ; this can introduce other vegetal matter and bitter flavors her,. Lock & air lock I guess I ’ m having a hard time finding yeast. Unpleasant wine water in it for bottling picked several quarts of petals on. Clearer finished product stronger flavour steep in the middle of the instructions I some! Really nice now ( three days in ) – very floral and fruity forgot to link it dandelion. Experiment by sugaring half ( referment ) and popped the bottles and cork still waiting for winter... Willing to spend the time pass more quickly if you were not kidding when you say cover! 24 hours, they got ta go in the middle of the taste of this wine finished wine isn t. Leeched from the raisins help to pluck petals, so it breaths but keeps bugs out. ) the brew... Stems off more fines will settle to the flower-water mixture and bring to a carboy in,... When they are fully open on a sunny window for a very similar recipe of dandelion wine “! Recommend getting help to pluck petals, so they need to be done bubbling when was...

Strawberry Mille Feuille Gourmandise, Flourless Fried Chicken, 100 Irregular Verbs List Pdf, Where To Buy Heirloom Seeds, Homes For Sale Port Richey, Fl, Recipes With Sweetened Condensed Milk And Cake Mix, Pillow Box Login, Greek Yogurt Curry Sauce, Truth About Network Marketing, Photographer Los Angeles Jobs, Roots Group Saudi Arabia,